[Xastir-dev] Blame Canada for xastir segfaults

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 23 13:38:32 EST 2004

I may be naive here, but, doesn't that mean that we should improve the
error reporting in Xastir so that it detects this problem and informs
the user instead of segfaulting?

Again, I'm not an expert, but, I was always taught that a segfault indicated
a bug in the software.  Usually a failure to adequately check some form of
input before depending on it conforming to assertions.

If we're using a library to parse these files and that library is what is
actually segfaulting, then, I think we have a few different options
(which aren't necessarily mutually exclusive):

	1.	File a bug with the library development team.
	2.	Fix the library and submit appropriate patches to the
		development team (yeah, I know, resource issue, but,
		it's an option).
	3.	Trap the SIGSEGV from the library and produce a more
		helpful error message.

Just my $0.02, and, it may not be worth that.

Owen

--On Tuesday, March 23, 2004 10:25 AM -0800 "Curt, WE7U"