[Xastir-dev] Blame Canada for xastir segfaults

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 23 17:42:57 EST 2004

Well... I'd say that if we're segfaulting, it's a clear indication that
something is wrong.  I'm not saying the application shouldn't bail out.  I'm
saying that there are actions we might be able to take before we bail out
that could provide the user something more informative and useful than
the words "Segmentation Fault" and a prompt (or worse if they ran it from
an X11 launcher).

I think popping up a window indicating that a fatal error occurred, some
information about where it occurred (we should be able to tell if it
occurred
within the shapelib or within Xastir, for example), and a pointer to where
they can get more useful debugging information would be a good starting
point.

Providing a convenient way to submit relevant corefiles and traceback
information to the developer web site would be icing on the cake.

And, in answer to your next question, no, I am not going to be able to
write it.

I do feel somewhat guilty sitting on the sidelines and kibbitzing instead
of writing code.  However, as you've seen from the code I have written, I'm
much better at kibbitzing :-)  It also takes less time.  I'm hoping that's
more of a contribution than sitting silently on the sideline.

If you want this on the feature request list, let me know and I'll submit
it.
I feel at least that responsible. :-)

Owen

--On Tuesday, March 23, 2004 10:45 -0800 "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>