[Xastir-dev] several unrelated ideas

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 25 18:33:53 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> 2) Dan Egnor wrote an open source (GPL) geocoder for the Google
> programming contest in 2002. http://cvs.ofb.net/geocoder/
>
> I'm willing to attempt to integrate it if people think it would be useful
> (but it uses Census data, at the moment, so lacking sources of data that
> could be used elsewhere, if you're outside the U.S. it won't help) but...
> you enter an address, it finds coordinates, and then what? There's no
> object set defined for this sort of thing, is there?

People have been asking for that functionality in Xastir.  If we had
that I think more people would use Xastir for mobile navigation.
Heck, I'd find it more useful for SAR at times too, like when they
give us a road name and don't tell us what city/highway it is near.

We could develop the tools to use those features.  I'd be willing to
support you in that effort.  We might not get to highlighting roads
that will get you there, but we could at least draw a big ugly
vector between you and the destination, which would at least help.