[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 30 11:13:36 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> i could just build the pre-split versions of them and make them available.
> i will try to do that tomorrow, and at the same time get the tools working
> and checked in in a subdirectory.

Please.  I can see downloading one to three state's worth at home,
but not much more than that.

I wonder if there's anything available for Canada that would give us
similar data?  I know the topo's are freely available, but we'd need
the street map data for this.  Just having GNIS type data/searches
for Canada would be a good start though.

> > Now... What kind of GUI functionality do we want?  Perhaps make a
> > big line with an arrow from the current location to the found
> > address, so that you can drive to it?  Give me some ideas here!
>
> Maybe something else to consider here: I'd like to teach KisMac how to
> tell Xastir where access points are and have them be drawn as I drive,
> while not breaking the APRS station functionality. I could make another
> APRS interface, but the problem is I don't want to steal from the APRS
> object set, since it would be wrong. People want to use KisMac with
> gpsdrive, and I think Xastir supports a superset of the datasets and
> functionality that gpsdrive does (except maybe friendsd, since there's not
> really a useful way to plot positions of non-amateur-radio-licensees)
>
> but i lack a good idea for how to do this

I have the possibility of 802.11b in my vehicle, so this might be of
interest to me as well.  Let's get some more discussion going on
this.

In the meantime, what sort of graphical symbols do we want for this
new address search feature, should we put a big circle/target/X at
the destination, and should we have a big hurkin' line going from
where we are to that destination?  What would people find most
useful?

Yes, I know highlighting the roads between where you are and the
destination would be cool.  That's probably a ways off yet.