[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Tue Mar 30 11:36:08 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
> > i could just build the pre-split versions of them and make them available.
> > i will try to do that tomorrow, and at the same time get the tools working
> > and checked in in a subdirectory.
>
> Please.  I can see downloading one to three state's worth at home,
> but not much more than that.

It'll be tonight before I can get to it (but at least I already have all
the data)

> I wonder if there's anything available for Canada that would give us
> similar data?  I know the topo's are freely available, but we'd need
> the street map data for this.  Just having GNIS type data/searches
> for Canada would be a good start though.

I haven't heard of any, do we have any resident experts on Canadian GIS
data on the list?

> I have the possibility of 802.11b in my vehicle, so this might be of
> interest to me as well.  Let's get some more discussion going on
> this.

Well, KisMac specifically probably won't be useful to you, but a generic
"feed it in" interface might. At least I'm guessing your laptop isn't a
Mac.

I taught KisMac to talk to gpsd instead of to a gps so it would coexist
with Xastir. Now I just need to stop worrying about its somewhat poor
mapping.

> In the meantime, what sort of graphical symbols do we want for this
> new address search feature, should we put a big circle/target/X at
> the destination, and should we have a big hurkin' line going from
> where we are to that destination?  What would people find most
> useful?

No opinion. Should we label the point somehow also?