[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 30 11:56:12 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> > I have the possibility of 802.11b in my vehicle, so this might be of
> > interest to me as well.  Let's get some more discussion going on
> > this.
>
> Well, KisMac specifically probably won't be useful to you, but a generic
> "feed it in" interface might. At least I'm guessing your laptop isn't a
> Mac.

Nope.  Touch-screen truck-mount linux box.  I've had Kismet and I
think Airsnort running on it.  Those are the types of things I'd tie
in, but those projects are not high on my list right now.

> > In the meantime, what sort of graphical symbols do we want for this
> > new address search feature, should we put a big circle/target/X at
> > the destination, and should we have a big hurkin' line going from
> > where we are to that destination?  What would people find most
> > useful?
>
> No opinion. Should we label the point somehow also?

Well, if you're stationary and finding an address, then the current
interface is probably adequate, probably with some kind of an object
plotted at that point as well.

If you're mobile and have TrackMe mode on, then you'll find the
address, pan to it, then the image will go back to where your GPS is
reporting your position at.  It'd be good to both plot the found
destination somehow and plot a vector between you and it.

We could also tie Festival in to that scheme so that it gives the
bearing and distance to the destination until you arrive at it (and
how to determine arrival is another problem needing to be solved).

What do we do with the symbol after you're done with it?

What about doing multiple finds of addresses (like I wanted to when
I was searching for a house)?  Should we plot an object at each one,
leaving it to the operator to delete them if they choose to?  That
would actually be quite simple to implement.