[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Jeff Barlow Jeff at WB6CSV.net
Tue Mar 30 12:27:02 EST 2004

"Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:

>Yes, I know highlighting the roads between where you are and the
>destination would be cool.  That's probably a ways off yet.

Yes, that clearly is a major project, somewhat akin to circuit board
auto-routing I should think.

I've played with Garmin's MetroGuide enough to develop a love/hate
reaction. The automatic routing is quite impressive, though much of the
UI is pretty lame. One nice feature is you can click on a displayed
route, drag the selected point, and drop it elsewhere, thereby altering
the route.

Something like might be a next step after the "big hurkin' line". Allow
the user to drag a point on that line (rubber banding) and snap it to a
road intersection. This would give Xastir manual route entry, at least.

Jeff Barlow
WB6CSV