[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 30 13:29:57 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 tbaggett at jump.net wrote:

> If I may share an opinion, I feel that drawing a vector from your current
> position to the position of the "destination" object would do more to add map
> clutter than to provide any help.

I disagree, but it's not like that's a first or anything!

I do agree that it's a non-optimal solution.  Big-time.  I don't
agree that it's not a useful start.  It's a very easy implementation
that will provide useful functionality immediately.  The alternative
is to do nothing right now, as the more optimal solution will take a
lot of time/energy to accomplish.

So... We're not talking about a final solution here, we're only
talking about a quick-and-dirty solution that will provide _some_
functionality, where otherwise there would be none.

> > VERY similar.  That might give us some good algorithms to go look at
> > when we get ready to do it... PCB auto-routing open-source projects!
>

> I disagree based on Roads != PCB Traces.

Point well taken.  I'll have to get into graph theory again to get
my head around what to do.  Perhaps others are closer to college
than I am and perhaps can think about this stuff a little more,
providing direction as we go along.

> The auto-routing analogy would only work IMHO if we were building new roads
> rather than trying to utilize existing roads.

Heck, I have a 4WD...