[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

tbaggett at jump.net tbaggett at jump.net
Tue Mar 30 13:19:12 EST 2004

If I may share an opinion, I feel that drawing a vector from your current
position to the position of the "destination" object would do more to add map
clutter than to provide any help.

Driving in the direction of such a vector may not be the best route to get to
the destination. Sure, it may help X% of the time, but it would add clutter
100-X% of the time. I suspect that 'X' would be pretty small, in fact,
only when the destination and the starting point are located on the screen
at the same time.

That's simply my opinion, which probably shouldn't be given much weight on
here.

Also...

> > Yes, that clearly is a major project, somewhat akin to circuit board
> > auto-routing I should think.
>
> VERY similar.  That might give us some good algorithms to go look at
> when we get ready to do it... PCB auto-routing open-source projects!

I disagree based on Roads != PCB Traces.

A PCB autorouter simply has to avoid objects (components, other traces,
etc.), and perhaps apply some basic rules relating to the physics of
electro-magnetism.

When determining a route between two points on the Earth, you also avoid
objects (lakes, mountains, etc.), however, you have the added restriction
that your route must follow a road.

The auto-routing analogy would only work IMHO if we were building new roads
rather than trying to utilize existing roads.

73,
Tim