[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 31 16:00:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> Well, I think that there should be several options.  I sometimes use
> the GOTO function on my GPS to go to a waypoint and make use of the
> resulting "map" page, and so I don't agree that a simple line from the
> current point is necessarily useless clutter, but I also wouldn't want
> it to be a behavior I couldn't switch off.  I can also think of other
> ways I'd want to see it.  Perhaps this should be configurable just as
> is done for filtering station info.
>
> Ideas?  Hmmmm.
>
>   -  Instead of centering the display upon clicking "Locate address," bring up
>      a "found it!" dialog with the lat/lon of the address and some
>      buttons to choose what to do next
>
>      * GOTO Address (display arrow from current location to address, and
>        update it continuously as we update current position, just like a GPS)
>      * Create Object (bring up a create/modify object dialog with the address'
>        lat/lon alread filled in).
>        = At the same time, you might also modify the
>         dialog for create/modify object to have a checkbox for "do not
>         transmit" and an associated flag internally to flag individual
>         objects as being for display only, not transmission as APRS objects.
>         That would kill more than one bird with the same stone (e.g. making it
>         possible to use objects for some stuff in SAR that you wouldn't
>         necessarily want transmitted without having to completely disable
>         object transmitting)
>      * Center display on address
>
> That's all that springs to mind at the moment.

How about some way to specify a default action, perhaps if you don't
catch it within XX seconds of the query?

I'm trying to come up with a way to find an address quickly while
driving, but then again I should be pulled over if I'm doing that so
I can certainly click another button or two once it is found.

With that in mind, perhaps skip the default action idea, and add
(for the future):

 * Show fastest route (highlights roads)
 * Show shortest route (highlights roads)
 * Give driving directions (turn by turn)
 * Speak driving directions (might just be a new Festival config)

The speed limit is embedded in the tiger files, so we could compute
the fastest route, which may not be the same as the shortest route.

We also need some way of removing the highlighting.