[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Wed Mar 31 13:26:06 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:36:17AM -0800, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> >
> > > Likely, then, your area hasn't been updated in overflights since 1992 or
> > > earlier, or if it was updated, it was using a non-rectified image.
> >
> > Tiger 2003 came out at the beginning of the month. Assuming mirroring
> > finished last night I'll build indexes from it today. Maybe it will be
> > better.
>
> Do you realize where we're headed here?  We're starting to get to
> the point where we'll have up-to-date maps months before all the
> people using commercial map packages can get them...

Heh.

> If we had full support for Tiger/Line format via GDAL/OGR right now
> (we have partial support currently), then we'd already be there for
> the maps themselves.  Derrick is helping to make sure that our
> Address Search is the latest.

ogr2ogr can generate usable shapefiles from TIGER/Line zip files very quickly.
You only need to tweak the tgrlk.dbfawk file a tiny bit to get it to recognize
the dbf signature and you're in.

I will try tonight to see if I can do just that for the newest data, and will
post my "tgr2shp.dbfawk" file on my shape_web site along with the ogr2ogr
command you use to do it.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry