[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 31 13:35:57 EST 2004

One technique used by my navigation system in my truck is to divide the
country up into smaller areas.  One DVD covers the conterminous united
States.  It divides them up into:
	CA+NV
	WA+OR+ID+MT+WY
	AZ+UT+NM+CO
	ND+SD+NE+KS+MN+IA+MO+WI+IL
	TX+OK+AR+LA
	IN+OH+KY+WV+VA+DE+PA+MD+DC
	NY+CT+RI+MA+VT+NH+ME
	TN+NC+SC+MS+AL+GA+FL

I can't explain the rationale for the divisions, and I'm not saying that's
how we should do it, but, when I want to hunt for an address in it, I have
to specify the region first (unless I want to search within the preselected
default region), then enter the address.  It will navigate from wherever I
am
to any end destination.  They don't need to be in the same region.  I can
start in California and put in an address so far north in ME that you'd
expect
to have to speak Nova Scotian :-)  and it will build a route.

(OK... before you flame me, I know they speak Scottish in NS and I'm not
so thoroughly geographically challenged as to believe this is a reality,
it was a joke... (and, for the next round of flames, I realize that many
people are of the delusion that Scottish is English, much as they are about
American.))

There... I think I've done something that should piss everyone off fairly
equally. :-)

Owen