[Xastir-dev] first cut at geocoder

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Mar 31 12:28:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > It finished, too.
>
> Do you have any by-state indexes I can snag yet?  I'm just after
> WA right now, but will be after OR/ID later.  Need something smaller
> so I can install at home, plus I'm building disk images for two SAR
> truck-mount PC's, and I'd like to get that new feature installed in
> them as well.  They don't have a lot of space left after I install
> all their maps.

I built PA to test and the rest are building now. I uploaded none yet and
my plan was assuming they finish building before I go to my office to use
the "station wagon full of tapes" bandwidth method (a.k.a. my laptop's
disk) to get them to somewhere convenient to put them on www.dementia.org.

> > Anyone look at the routing code in the tmrs link I sent last night? Looks
> > a bit cumbersome for a large amount of data due to memory usage, which is
> > a shame.
>
> I haven't looked at it, but perhaps we can use our map extent index
> and some smart decisions about the possible search area, then just
> run those nodes through the code instead of all maps on the system?
>
> Something like:  Area containing points A/B plus XX miles (or km)
> around them in all directions.  Find maps inside those extents and
> chug on them.  Would that fit into their system?

well, he does do something like that already, where instead of trying to
brute force over a long route if it's too long he finds the nearest
highway at each end.

but i don't think this is quite as polished as i think you're guessing.