[Xastir-dev] geocoder Tiger 2003-based files

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Mar 31 19:02:52 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Owen DeLong wrote:

> How about the following:
>
> directory/
> 	CC.geocode	File containing geocode for entire CC Country
> 			where CC is ISO 2 letter country code.
>
> 	CC/		Directory containing data for CC Country as above.
>
> 	CC/S.geocode	File containing geocode for S state/province/etc. within
> 			CC Country.
>
> 	CC/S/		Directory containing data for S as above.
>
> 	CC/S/c.geocode	File containing geocode data for c City/County/etc.
>
> 	CC/S/c/...	Not sure this would be useful, but, the nice thing is
> 			that if we make the UI recursive, it will find what
> 			it's looking for as deep as it needs to go, if
> 			necessary, and we don't have to worry about arbitrary
> 			limits or keeping full data always available.

My Motif fu isn't good enough to provide a maps-browser style interface,
but I can follow this scheme for now by making this code (which for the
moment is US-specific anyhow) try that scheme at least for US.geocode and
then US/SN.geocode for the state; county would involve having a top level
database of counties, fairly easily. I think I will do that after dinner.