[Xastir-dev] aprs message acks

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 31 23:21:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, John Williams wrote:

> Xastir when it send an aprs message appends the message number to acknowledge as {22}.
>
> The {22 I understand, but is the trailing } part of the ack or just a character enclosing the
> message number.

It is important.  It's part of the ack-ack message protocol that
APRS+SA and Xastir use, perhaps others.

The idea is that you send the message number that you've last
received from the other station, so that the other station marks it
as ack'ed even if it missed getting your ack.  It makes 2-way
messaging fly much faster, when both people are typing.

> An addition being considered is the use of a continuation character '>' to let the server know
> that the next message from the sending station will be another aprs message to be appended
> to the email.
>
> I an looking at  using the message number to determine the sequence of received packets.
>
> So if the trailing } is just cosmetic, does it really have to be there.

It's not just cosmetic.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer