[Xastir-dev] README.MAPS "feature creep"

Reuven Z Gevaryahu gevaryah at netaxs.com
Sat May 22 21:54:52 EDT 2004

I think README.MAPS is suffering something akin to feature creep: New
things keep being tacked on, but the overall structure isn't being
updated. I think that means time for another one of my infamous overhauls.

The summary at the top duplicates stuff that should be/is in INSTALL.
README.MAPS should (IMHO) be a file read after install is all done, and
should explain where to get maps and how to install/organize them. We
should clarify what is needed for each map when we are giving locations
for that map type, but I think a lot of the stuff at the top is unnecessary.

We have information about the old tiger-based maps, I think we should
strip much of that in favor of the 2003 data in shapefile or GDAL/raw
format. (With exception of the DosAPRS ones for non-shapefile systems)

We also have http://www.findewe.com/nwaprs/XastirMaps, which has some
sites not listed there.

We have a bunch of information about reprojecting shapefiles, creating
dbfawk files, and creating shapefiles. Should I create an
README.SHAPEFILES or similar?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

--Reuven (KB3EHW)