[Xastir-dev] db4

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Sun Nov 28 14:43:41 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:57:02 -0700
> From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
> To: Jerry Chamberlin <jerryc at netlab.org>
> Cc: xastir-dev at xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir-dev] db4
>
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 10:59:50AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jerryc at netlab.org> flavor, containing:
>> Ok,
>> 	I went to sleepycat and got db4.2.52.tar.gz
>> Compiled and installed. All was good.
>>
>> 1. Should I remove db2 and 3 ? from my redhat 7.2
>> 2. I am still getting the DB > 4 Error in map.cache.c
>> 3. I would really like to try this map caching stuff.
>> 4. My Redhat 6.2 machine does not have the issue and does not attempt to compile
>> maps.cache.c so it does compile, without caching. (which is cool because I use
>> it just for tiger maps)
>>
>> Any hints appreciated, is ther a db4 dev package I need to get ?
>
> Clearly, the db.h that's found first in the search path is the wrong one.  To
> get to the bottom of it you'll need to figure out where the db4.2 version is,
> and make sure it's used instead of any other.

I'm finding the same problem compiling under MacOS 10.1.3.  I've installed
Berkeley db with fink, which likes to install things under /sw/.  MacOS X
has a /usr/include/db.h - which appears to be an older 1.something version,
and while the include file is there, I note that there isn't any libdb
in /usr/lib.

from "fink list" here's the version of Berkeley db installed:

  i      db41    4.1.25-15       Berkeley DB embedded database - non crypto

> There's also a "--with-bdb-incdir" and "--with-bdb-libdir" option you can use

This didn't quite seem to do the trick - and I'm pretty sure was redundant,
since /sw...  was already there, from other checks that happen.

Here is what I used for "configure" which picked up the right db.h and libdb:

./configure LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -ldb" CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include" \
--with-bdb-incdir=/sw/include/db4 --with-bdb-libdir=/sw/lib

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org