[Xastir-dev] Cygwin CPU Usage: Volunteer?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 23 13:33:21 EDT 2004

Anyone have access to a Cygwin machine and can do some profiling?
Check the end of the INSTALL file and it'll tell you how.  That
method works on Linux, hopefully it'll work on Cygwin as well.

I'm interested in finding out why the X11 on Cygwin appears to be so
busy while Xastir is running.  The Xastir profiling may not tell you
why this is, but then again it may.

If profiling doesn't tell you or can't be done this way on Cygwin,
perhaps putting usleep() calls in various places or commenting out
various pieces in UpdateTime() can track it down.  We already know
that adding delays in the main UpdateTime() loop cause CPU usage in
Cygwin to drop.

I'm suspecting that there's something we're doing on a regular basis
from main.c:UpdateTime() or one of the functions it calls, that
causes X11 to be VERY busy on Cygwin, but not on Unix-based systems.
Most likely it's tied into our status line updating on the main
window, perhaps the activity symbols on the right.

Anyway, if anyone can look at this, it'd be appreciated.  I'm sure
we could knock our CPU usage on Cygwin/Windows down a lot with just
a small amount of work.