[Xastir-dev] Deprecated file?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jan 20 12:58:14 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:37:06AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:21:56PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <shadow at dementia.org> flavor, containing:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> >
> > >Add to that the confusion factor that new users experience by seeing
> > >such messages.  Better to keep it as clean as possible so that they
> > >don't worry.
> >
> > send bootstrap.sh output to /dev/null? ;-)
> >
> > >Is that the only other option, creating another header file?  It's a
> > >bit of a hassle, but if that's the only other way to do it we should
> > >probably go that route.  Just my opinion of course.
> >
> > actually, the clever thing to do would be to rename the autoconf-generated
> > header, call the new header config.h, and not touch any code.
> >
> > either that or their nebulous comment about more complex templates, which
> > so far i have found nothing on.
>
> The answer's in the autoconf info files.  There it says that acconfig.h
> is used by "ancient" versions of autoconf to add things to config.h.in.
>
> The modern way is to use AH_BOTTOM, AH_TOP, AH_TEMPLATE and AH_VERBATIM.
> Using AH_BOTTOM([#ifndef HAVE_SOCKLEN_T.....]) in configure.ac does the
> same thing that acconfig.h with @BOTTOM at ... used to.
>
> I'm committing the changes now.

More to the point, though, is a concern I have about doing this hack.  Is
it right to just define socklen_t to int if it's not found in the
socket-related headers?  Isn't that asking for a nastier surprise later when
some system doesn't have *other* things we expect to have included by
sys/types.h and sys/socket.h, or the user has a broken installation?  Is
this really doing the user a favor, or just masking a different problem?

Did we ever determine where socklen_t was defined on the problem system?
Refresh my memory: wasn't that just an OS X system?  Did this problem just
show up in a recent OS X version?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."