[Xastir-dev] message bugs?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 25 23:36:19 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, John Williams wrote:

> Just be aware that they are other aprs email servers out there.
>
> Someone has written another ui-view plug in and the aprs email server in Australia
> replies as VKMAIL. This is also how you address the message.  So it does get acknowledged
> correctly.
>
> I believe the different email servers use different calls to avoid conflicts.
> These servers should really respond in a way aprs clients expect.
>
> There is only one server that uses EMAIL that I am aware of, so your special case should not
> cause problems with the other servers. Hard coding a special case is not an ideal solution though.
>
> You could implement a retry count for messages. Perhaps configurable up to 10 attempts.
> Otherwise just let the user decide when to cancel the message.

Make sense.

Actually now that I've thought about it some more, the proper method
would be to contact the EMAIL server guy and ask him to change it's
operation to comply with the APRS spec for messaging.

That changes it from an Xastir bug to an EMAIL server bug and gets
it off our list.  ;-)

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer