[Xastir-dev] Muchos Grassias

Gerry Creager n5jxs gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 26 01:33:27 EST 2005

Over the next couple of months, check out
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/poly2.tamu.edu or
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/poly3.tamu.edu

There's some changes coming in the next 12 months in SVR, TOR and FFW
warnings.  We're (NWS, plus one university academic type) working on a
plan to start issuing warnings as smaller areas, specifically areas of
maximum impact.  This is the "Polygon Warning" initiative.

For those interested in Open Source thingies, NWS had been using ESRI
(proprietary) software.  I was asked if I was interested in playing, so
I could provide some background on using the Minnesota Mapserver software...

Another change coming.  I've been experimenting with providing the US
Radar data using the Open geospatial Consortium's Web Map Service.  I
should have figured this out LONG ago.  What this means is anyone who
can determine what the bounding corners of the area they're interested
in can make the request, and modify their own .geo files themselves.

http://mesonet.tamu.edu/cgi-bin/radar?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=getmap&layers=radar&BBOX=-80.000,46.000,-70.000,36.000&HEIGHT=1000&WIDTH=1000&FORMAT=image/png

snags a piece of the overall png image, as a 1000x1000 pixel image.
It's bounded by 46.0N, 80.0W (-80.0); 36.0N 70.0W (-70.0).  Thus the
.geo becomes:
URL
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/cgi-bin/radar?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=getmap&layers=radar&BBOX=-80.000,46.000,-70.000,36.000&HEIGHT=1000&WIDTH=1000&FORMAT=image/png
TIEPOINT	0	0	-80.000		46.000
TIEPOINT	1000	1000	-70.000		36.000
IMAGESIZE 1000 1000
REFRESH 600
TRANSPARENT 0x0ffffffff

Note:  Looks like the URL wrapped... that's a nit that can be fixed...

So: anyone can construct the URL and the .geo.  Where I want to go now
is to write a script that'll take the user's parameters, construct the
.geo file and allow them to install it (or it can be installed on the fly).

Thoughts?

Oh, and there's a site available with the Polygon warnings in WFS
(www.opengeospatial.org) form, too...

Gerry