[Xastir-dev] can't get Inet->RF working

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 22 14:01:21 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, David Rivenburg wrote:

> I see.  So instead if my program listens on a socket for connections
> and I setup an internet server interface in xastir to connect to it I
> can then have xastir send packets to RF on my program's behalf?

If Xastir considered your program to be an internet server, then you
could set up Xastir to gate packets from specific calls through to
RF, if you're using the latest CVS.

> Short of integrating my code into xastir (which may eventually happen)
> is there a better way to share the tnc with my program?

1) You could run "aprsd" to talk to the TNC, then connect your
program and/or Xastir to it.

2) You could run AX.25 kernel networking which allows sharing of
ports, then tweak your program to use that API.

3) We could tweak Xastir to send packets received on it's server
port out to RF.  We might need to add another config file setting
there to be able to switch that off as well.

The reason I added the server port feature was so that one Xastir on
a TNC could feed multiple other programs in an SAR or EOC type of
operation.  Only the "master" Xastir in that case can actually talk
out RF.  The rest can talk amongst themselves and receive/decode all
packets that come in on the TNC.

If we want to be able to go server port->RF, we'd want the ability
to turn that feature off so that non-hams could be kept off the air
and/or so that RF traffic can be minimized.   In fact that setting
should probably be off by default.

It would require some work to add that feature.  Not a tremendous
amount, but several parts of the code would have to be looked at,
a new GUI object added, and a new global parameter saved/restored
from the config file.