[Xastir-dev] can't get Inet->RF working

David Rivenburg driven at onr.com
Tue Mar 22 13:49:05 EST 2005

(This thread started on the Sourceforge forum and is copied below)

By: Dave Rivenburg - driven
can't get Inet->RF working
2005-03-21 03:51

I have written an aprs application that speaks directly to the tnc.
This prevents me from running xastir at the same time, so I have been
trying to figure out how to let xastir control the tnc (because y'all
probably did a better job of it than I did) and have my program use
the telnet interface that xastir provides on port 2023.

Receiving data is easy. After connecting it just comes right at you.
My problem has been transmitting. I can successfully log on, but after
that I have not been able to send any packets to xastir that it will
put on the air.

Here are the details:

- xastir v1.4.1 on linux
- server port is enabled
- using only a serial tnc interface
- transmitting allowed
- bidirectional igate traffic allowed
- by itself xastir will rx and tx everything it is supposed to
- the packet is an aprs message to a callsign that has been heard
direct on RF within the past few minutes
- sending station has not been heard on RF or Inet
- TCPXX, NOGATE, and RFONLY do not appear in the source path header
- packets sent via telnet appear in the Display Packet Data window

Is there a setting I missed?
Are there other criteria which must be met before a packet is put on
the air?
Am I trying to make xastir do something it doesn't do?

Thanks,

Dave - AD5OO

By: Curt Mills - we7uProject Admin
RE: can't get Inet->RF working
2005-03-21 09:38
First of all, ask questions on the mailing lists instead of these
forums. You'll get a wider audience by far. http://www.xastir.org,
links are on the left.

Next: You're asking Xastir to do something that it isn't set up to do
right now. If you're wanting to send objects or items and have Xastir
take over transmit control of them after the first packet, I can help
you with that. If you're trying to do anything else, Xastir will only
gate them to INET, not to RF, if they come in on the Server port.

I see.  So instead if my program listens on a socket for connections
and I setup an internet server interface in xastir to connect to it I
can then have xastir send packets to RF on my program's behalf?

Short of integrating my code into xastir (which may eventually happen)
is there a better way to share the tnc with my program?

DR