[Xastir-dev] Filesystem Heirarchy Standard

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 15 12:24:49 EST 2006

I did a tweak (suggested by a user) which installs the Xastir
manpage into "$prefix/share/man/man1/" instead of
"$prefix/man/man1".  This makes the install location FHS-2.3 and
LSB-3.1 compliant.

People need to remember to delete the xastir manpage from
"/usr/man/man1/" and/or "/usr/local/man/man1/" directories at some
future date when they update to the latest sources.

Continuing along this line of thought (FHS and LSB compatibility),
we may have another area that needs some tweaking:  It has to do
with the "$prefix/share/lib/" location and what we put there.

My current thought is that we should be installing our "helper"
scripts and binaries into either "$prefix/bin/" or
"$prefix/share/xastir/bin/".

Here are the install directories if one installs using the defaults:

/usr/local/bin/                 (xastir, callpass, xastir_udp_client)
/usr/local/lib/xastir/          (helper scripts)
/usr/local/man/man1/            (xastir manpage)
/usr/local/share/xastir/config/
/usr/local/share/xastir/Counties/
/usr/local/share/xastir/doc/
/usr/local/share/xastir/fcc/
/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/
/usr/local/share/xastir/help/
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/
/usr/local/share/xastir/sounds/
/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/

Again, installing our helper scripts into the /usr/local/lib/xastir/
directory seems to me like it doesn't meet the FHS-2.3 standard.

It might be argued also whether the TNC config files should be in
the $prefix/share/ heirarchy at all, at least if users might need to
edit them at all.  If they need editing, they need to go into the
/var heirarchy or the user's home directory.

Any changes to the install locations need to work with either "/usr"
or "/usr/local" as the prefix.

Comments?