[Xastir-dev] Filesystem Heirarchy Standard

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 15 15:44:53 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> I did a tweak (suggested by a user) which installs the Xastir
> manpage into "$prefix/share/man/man1/" instead of
> "$prefix/man/man1".  This makes the install location FHS-2.3 and
> LSB-3.1 compliant.
>
> People need to remember to delete the xastir manpage from
> "/usr/man/man1/" and/or "/usr/local/man/man1/" directories at some
> future date when they update to the latest sources.

I thought about adding an "rm" command to the Makefile.am file for
this, but if there are any symlinks between those directories then
I might end up deleting the manpage I just added.  I don't know how
to run commands _before_ the files are installed.

> Continuing along this line of thought (FHS and LSB compatibility),
> we may have another area that needs some tweaking:  It has to do
> with the "$prefix/share/lib/" location and what we put there.
>
> My current thought is that we should be installing our "helper"
> scripts and binaries into either "$prefix/bin/" or
> "$prefix/share/xastir/bin/".

That first one is a bad idea.  It would mean that the
Xastir-specific scripts would have to avoid the namespace of nearly
everything else installed on the system, plus the commands would be
available to all users all the time.  We lose the "connection"
between Xastir and them, meaning people might try them somewhat
randomly without knowing which application they're attached to.

Reading a few of the postings on the FHS list makes me think that
our location for the scripts isn't all that bad.

> /usr/local/share/xastir/doc/

This has been changed now to /usr/local/share/doc/xastir/ per
FHS-2.3.  Added a symlink from the old location to the new one, but
we might delete that symlink later once everyone gets used to the
new location.