[Xastir-dev] Filesystem Heirarchy Standard

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 16 11:51:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > People need to remember to delete the xastir manpage from
> > "/usr/man/man1/" and/or "/usr/local/man/man1/" directories at some
> > future date when they update to the latest sources.

Actually the FHS states that /usr/local/man and /usr/local/share/man
are to be one and the same.  On my SuSE systems I've removed
/usr/local/share/man and made a symlink to the other one:

    cd /usr/local/share
    rm -rf man
    ln -s /usr/local/man

This way the old location and the FHS-compatible location for the
manpage are actually the same location and the old manpage gets
updated.

I moved another one or two manpages first before I did the rm -rf.

> > /usr/local/share/xastir/doc/
>
> This has been changed now to /usr/local/share/doc/xastir/ per
> FHS-2.3.  Added a symlink from the old location to the new one, but
> we might delete that symlink later once everyone gets used to the
> new location.

I'm going to remove the symlink code that I recently added to the
Makefile.  I can only see it causing problems in the future when we
have to figure out how to delete it automatically.