[Xastir-dev] Linking Questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 21 12:38:24 EST 2006

Perhaps simple questions, perhaps not, but I'll give it a shot:

I need a library statically linked into lesstif-lsb that isn't
provide by the LSB shared libs.  I've managed to do this using
libXt.a from /usr/X11R6/lib.

Next I link Xastir against lesstif-lsb but get an instant segfault
when I run it.  Tried the same with a HelloWorld Motif application:
Same result, instant segfault.

The problem appears to be that pthreads is included in libXt.a but
also in the libpthread.so provided by LSB.  The same symbols may be
compiled into some of the other LSB shared libraries, so statically
linking libXt.a from the OS into the libraries or executables I'm
compiling is a problem.

Questions:

*) Can I statically link libXt.a with lesstif but without certain
functions from that library?

*) Can I get those functions from a shared library instead somehow?

I tried putting "-lpthread" before "-lXt" when compiling
HelloWorld.c but I think I'd need to recompile Lesstif that way
first to have a chance of it working.