[Xastir-dev] Linking Questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 21 14:14:08 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Next I link Xastir against lesstif-lsb but get an instant segfault
> when I run it.  Tried the same with a HelloWorld Motif application:
> Same result, instant segfault.
>
> The problem appears to be that pthreads is included in libXt.a but
> also in the libpthread.so provided by LSB.  The same symbols may be
> compiled into some of the other LSB shared libraries, so statically
> linking libXt.a from the OS into the libraries or executables I'm
> compiling is a problem.

Tracked it down a bit more:

"Synchronize" is in /opt/lib/libX11.so and /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a,
but evidently the sizes don't match.

If I replace libX11.so with the one from the OS, then I get another
link problem because another couple of symbols are missing from the
LSB libc.

In other words, I'm programming in circles here.  I'm getting into
more and more dependencies on the OS libraries, fewer on the LSB
libraries.  At some point I may not be able to continue and still
maintain LSB compatibility, plus the executable will end up being
immense if I keep statically linking in libraries.

Is there a way out of this mess?