[Xastir-dev] Re: Database Storage

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jul 10 08:23:27 EDT 2008

Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Paul J. Morris <mole at morris.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:07:11 -0700
>> "Jeffrey Johnson" <ortelius at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In the process of doing this implementation, I will end setting up a
>>> REST API on top of the positions DB using GeoDjango to query the
>>> database etc and return GeoRSS, KML, GeoJSON etc. If anyone is
>>> interested in this sort of thing, I am happy to share.
>>   Grand.  Does etc include WFS? In any case, I'd love to get a look at
>> the details.  Layering various applications interchanging data through
>> a mixture of lightweight and heavyweight standards and storing them in
>> spatially enabled databases seems to be a very logical direction to
>> move in.
>
> Sure we can do WFS/GML as well. Although, you can also quickly and
> easily serve up a WFS (or WMS) from these GeoDatabases using something
> like GeoServer http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Welcome

I can also provide features from the same server providing WMS for
radar.  We've been doing that for some time now.

>>   A direction to think about down the road for both weather data and
>> velocity/bearing data are the OGC efforts towards Observations and
>> Measurements schemas and Sensor Observation Services.
>
> Absolutely, but I generally stay away from these heavyweight standards
> until they are actually implemented widely. In the short term, I am
> concentrating on lightweight standards that people actually use ...
> like KML, GeoRSS, GeoJSON.

SOS isn't that heavyweight, and we're working on it in my lab, and in a
collective project.  Want pointers to some cookbooks?  Start here but
feel free to browse around the site:
http://www.oostethys.org/downloads/sos-cookbook-perl

> Just FYI, my current project involves tracking dozens of moving assets
> (cars, airplanes, bicycles, humans etc) at the Burning Man art
> festival in Nevada later this summer.  We are integrating the
> positions from APRS (and normal gps logs, nmea, gpx etc) into an
> existing geodatabase of the camps, art installations etc.

Should be cool!

> So whatever is reusable after I am done insofar as APRS and Xastir is
> concerned will get setup as a pluggable django app. I.e. you could
> grab the code and run it on top of your PostGIS or MySQL db which is
> fed with data from xastir.

We're working toward getting weather obs and radar, possibly weather
model forecasts, into SOS over the next couple of months.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983