[Xastir-dev] Re: Database Storage

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:42:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Paul J. Morris <mole at morris.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:07:11 -0700
> "Jeffrey Johnson" <ortelius at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the process of doing this implementation, I will end setting up a
>> REST API on top of the positions DB using GeoDjango to query the
>> database etc and return GeoRSS, KML, GeoJSON etc. If anyone is
>> interested in this sort of thing, I am happy to share.
>
>   Grand.  Does etc include WFS? In any case, I'd love to get a look at
> the details.  Layering various applications interchanging data through
> a mixture of lightweight and heavyweight standards and storing them in
> spatially enabled databases seems to be a very logical direction to
> move in.

Sure we can do WFS/GML as well. Although, you can also quickly and
easily serve up a WFS (or WMS) from these GeoDatabases using something
like GeoServer http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Welcome

>   A direction to think about down the road for both weather data and
> velocity/bearing data are the OGC efforts towards Observations and
> Measurements schemas and Sensor Observation Services.

Absolutely, but I generally stay away from these heavyweight standards
until they are actually implemented widely. In the short term, I am
concentrating on lightweight standards that people actually use ...
like KML, GeoRSS, GeoJSON.

Just FYI, my current project involves tracking dozens of moving assets
(cars, airplanes, bicycles, humans etc) at the Burning Man art
festival in Nevada later this summer.  We are integrating the
positions from APRS (and normal gps logs, nmea, gpx etc) into an
existing geodatabase of the camps, art installations etc.

So whatever is reusable after I am done insofar as APRS and Xastir is
concerned will get setup as a pluggable django app. I.e. you could
grab the code and run it on top of your PostGIS or MySQL db which is
fed with data from xastir.

Jeff