[Xastir-dev] Tactical Calls: Let's play

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 28 16:16:03 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, clayj at nwlink.com wrote:

> Cool!  I'll give it a shot when I get a chance (got some pretty large
> 'honey-dos').   We're also going to be going over to E WA this weekend,
> look for KD7ULH-9.

Sure... Do you want to be seen as "GeekBoy" or "Honey I Shot the
Kids" as you travel?  You know tactical calls have to be _some_ fun
to test with, right?  How about "Microsoft Rules!" as a tactical
call?  That might be worth trying once.

> I might also run the cable from her Nuvi and try sending some messages -
> as I read this, I would just send "KD7ULH Car" to TACTICAL and all of the
> Xastir boxes out there would pick it up, right?

Yea, but then I could change it back to GeekBoy right away again...

> Can/would Xastir respond to that if it was iGated (rather than received
> direct)?

Yes.  It doesn't care how it gets it as long as it comes in via APRS
message format.

> And I guess the NEXT logical question would be "If I send a message FROM
> Xastir to a station that's only been iGated to me, will Xastir (and APRS
> in general) take that from the Internet and put it back out on the air?"

Probably not, unless the igates were configured to send TACTICAL
messages to local RF.

I finished it at almost 2am this morning, and it's just the initial
implementation of the Tactical decoding.  I didn't do anything like
a "Send All Tactical->RF" yet which preformats a message to
TACTICAL, nor have I implemented a ToggleButton to disable tactical
callsign display (reverting back to regular callsigns) with a
default of "disable".  I plan to do both, and of course people have
suggested other GUI attachments already as well.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer