[Xastir-dev] Tactical Callsigns

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Tue Jul 29 13:58:57 EDT 2008

> Questions:
>
> Should we tie these two together so that when each TAC is created
> it's also sent to other stations?  This suggests a Send-All-TAC's
> function too, perhaps one that repeats periodically to keep things
> in sync.  We might also need to add code to "disown" TAC calls when
> somebody else sends a new one attached to the same callsign, similar
> to what we do for objects/items.
>
> Perhaps some people would be upset if Xastir started transmitting
> the TAC calls they've been using for some time and such calls
> weren't flattering to the people "out there".

I'm going to address this primarily regarding user interface:

- When creating/defining a TAC call, give a toggle box "Make Public /
Broadcast" (default: disabled). Most of the time, I don't need or want
to transmit my tactical calls. I would keep an array of all TAC calls,
and another array with pointers to those Public TACs that need to be
transmitted.

- Add a Send-All-TAC's function, very similar to Transmit Now. If
someone finishes setting up their station and wants the TACs
immediately, all they have to do is request them by voice, and the
local operator can hit Send-All-TACs (hmm, should the remote operator
be able to query over APRS for the TACs, initiating the same
Send-All-TACs function?)

- Send out the TACs tagged with Public on a predetermined time,
configured in the timing settings.

- When a Public TAC is cleared locally, clear it over the air
(likewise with a clear-all-TACs function).

Those are the essential features for me. I don't need any more and
don't want any less.

Tom KD7LXL