[Xastir-dev] Topic: Data Persistence, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 14 18:32:52 EDT 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Paul J. Morris wrote:

> Hibernate is a good tool for generating java classes over arbitrary
> databases.  http://www.hibernate.org/  I've also used Castor for
> generating java objects out of xml schemas and mapping those onto
> database objects.

I'm getting familiar with Toplink (which is similar to Hibernate)
but that effort is not Xastir-related.

> I do a lot of coding on various PHP, Java, and MS Access front ends over
> MySQL, Oracle, and Postgresql.   Generating objects from a database
> schema with tools like hibernate is much easier to do and maintain
> than doing it by hand.

Agreed.

We need full-featured databases like MySQL/PostgreSQL, plus lighter
databases like Berkely-DB or SQLite to cover the various types of
platforms we're interested in.  Having a software layer that
insulates us from that end of things would be a big plus.

> I'm in the process of hacking a PHP 5 object persistence layer
> supporting CRUD into Druid, but the objects representing the tables are
> themselves connecting to the database, rather than hibernate's more
> abstract (and better for plugging in different back ends) framework.

What I'm finding with web searches is that the term "Data
Persistence" is mostly used in the Java world.  I'm not sure Java is
the best language to use across all the classes of device that we're
interested in, but then again, it might be.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer