[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jun 14 21:26:46 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 04:50:12PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > The right approach would develop an
> > appropriate OO interface to a database package, against which all the
> > actors that use the database are written --- and we can implement as many
> > variants of the database package as needed, so long as they are written
> > to present the same interface.
> >
> > If we're gonna go OO, let's do OO design rather than just use an OO language.
> >
> > A better starting track might be to design what packages (in the
> > OO design lingo, not the linux lingo) are going to be needed to accomplish
> > the job, then start considering what they'll have to do and how they'll have
> > to be written.
> >
> > Properly done, we should not be designing around database engines, graphical
> > toolkits, or anything like that.  We should be designing around an abstraction,
> > and meshing those choices to that abstraction.
>
> How many OO experts to we have out there?

Been working on a $2M/year OO software product for about 8 years.  Not an
expert, but I have some OO design background.

> I'm certainly not one.  I
> was trained in structured programming in college, and picked up OO
> as I went along.  This means that starting at the OO design level is
> not my area of expertise, nor does it need to be.  hi hi
>
> We can do the OO design before picking a language, as any
> self-respecting OO language should be able to implement it, correct?

Yes.

> What tools are used to do OO design other than brainpower?  I'm sure
> there are OO design books around work that I could borrow for a bit.
> Linux tools?

Well, there's bouml, argouml, eclipse...

I've not had a lot of confidence in the design tools past the initial
design process.  They try to be things you can use throughout the life-cycle,
but mostly they're a hassle.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson