[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

John Sennesael gothic at donationcoders.com
Sun Jun 15 08:47:41 EDT 2008

> Regarding C++, I seem to remember something about problems with
> certain libraries from system to system, but those libraries are
> things the true-blue C++ guys tend to use a lot of.  STL maybe?  Is
> this something we can avoid entirely in order to run on more
> platforms or will it be a continual problem?  What about other C++
> libraries, are they fairly compatible across platforms?

STL used to have some problems as implementations of the standard
template library would differ across various compilers and platforms.
These days, STL has matured much more, and is more integrated into the
language. These problems are a thing of the past.

As far as C++ libraries beyond STL goes, you will have to define a
policy of what platforms to support, and only use libraries that support
your targeted platforms. There are many cross-platform libraries out
there that work on many platforms. Keep in mind that any C libraries
will also work in C++, so if no C++ library is available for a certain
purpose, we can write wrapper classes to use the C library in a C++
object-oriented fashion. Using wrapper classes around the used libraries
is sometimes a good idea anyway, since it allows you to switch libraries
without having to do heavy rewrites of major parts of your application.