[Xastir-dev] Xastir-NG: map support

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 09:10:53 EDT 2008

I realize that PostGIS and friends are intended to store the typical
ARPS stations/objects/etc.

What I'm unclear on is what this may mean for mapping.  Would this
also mean that, instead of various map types, I would use some tool to
shove my shapefile, GPS track log, etc into the database up front, and
the database would render a map from there?

I'm thinking of vector maps - I have no idea how raster maps would fit
in.  I mean, I'm sure they would, but the rendering of said maps would
still be an issue.

Any way to do something about the ImageMagick moving target?  Is there
a replacement, or merging an IM/GM fork into xastir (sort of like
shapelib support) useful in any way?

-Jason
kg4wsv