[Xastir-dev] Topic: Functional Requirements, Xastir-NG

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 09:02:59 EDT 2008

On the abstraction layers around the daemon:

Where does network extensible fit in?  I can see where in some
situations (mostly emergency/disaster response) there could be
multiple data feeds and multiple clients.  Would a single daemon
instance talk to one or more databases?  local or networked? Would
multiple clients be able to hit the daemon at once, and do so across
the network?

E.g. the scenario of an EOC where it might make sense to aggregate
external connections (TNCs, etc) at one device, but have multiple
viewers.  Right now we would handle this by multiple xastirs running
APRS-IS server feeds.  Would this be abstracted between the client and
the daemon in some new way? Or abstracted between the daemon and the
database?

It seems the daemon idea is poised to be a typical unix daemon,
forking a copy of itself to service each new connection.  This would
effectively be an xastir server, and allow for some lightweight
clients.

Since the databases are frequently designed to allow network
connectivity, would the daemon hit multiple databases, possibly
networked?

Of course when we start talking about network access the big issue of
security rears its ugly head...

-Jason
kg4wsv