[Xastir-dev] Topic: Functional Requirements, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 13:37:43 EDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On the abstraction layers around the daemon:
>
> Where does network extensible fit in?  I can see where in some
> situations (mostly emergency/disaster response) there could be
> multiple data feeds and multiple clients.  Would a single daemon
> instance talk to one or more databases?  local or networked? Would
> multiple clients be able to hit the daemon at once, and do so across
> the network?

I was envisioning multiple clients connecting to one database.  I
could have one daemon/database running here and have any of the
machines run clients that connected to that one instance.  The
daemon would normally be running on the machine that had TNC's.

In an EOC setup, one machine would be hooked to the TNC's and to the
internal network (and perhaps an outside network).  Other machines
on the local LAN could run clients that connect to that one daemon.

Any machine might have multiple map clients and/or multiple
messaging clients up at the same time as well.

> It seems the daemon idea is poised to be a typical unix daemon,
> forking a copy of itself to service each new connection.  This would
> effectively be an xastir server, and allow for some lightweight
> clients.

Yes, and if the daemon/persistence layer were very cross-platform
and maintained/tested that way, the clients wouldn't necessarily
have to be.

> Since the databases are frequently designed to allow network
> connectivity, would the daemon hit multiple databases, possibly
> networked?

Give me a reason.  It would complicate the code.  Would there be any
benefit?

> Of course when we start talking about network access the big issue of
> security rears its ugly head...

Yep.  I think Gerry already suggested SSH/SSL connections.  We could
perhaps require that for network connections from a client, but not
require it for local access.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer