[Xastir-dev] Topic: Supported Platforms, Xastir-NG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 16 13:17:41 EDT 2008

Here are the tendencies in this thread so far:

*) OO Design using UML (Unified Modeling Language), at least to the
   class and method level.

   Examples of UML tools:  bouml, argouml, eclipse, Oxygen, Dia.

   Tom: Must we all use the same UML tools?

Language choice & supported platforms can wait until the UML design
well under way, but here are the tendencies along those lines:

*) C++ with STL.  Use only ANSI class libraries (no vendor-specific
   class libraries).

*) C libraries only where necessary, using C++ wrappers.

*) C++, Python, Java, and Ruby bindings for the client API.

*) Less dependence on external libraries, to control reliability/
   quality/maintainability.

*) Add a layer between the daemon and the database, to keep as much
   database-agnostic as possible.

Objective-C:

There was one vote for Objective-C, which evidently is also
supported by GCC but has a lighter footprint than C++ or Java.
It's supposed to be simpler than C++.  Any opinions on this
language?

Can we do the same wrapper technique to use C libraries with
Objective-C?

Would we suffer any portability issues with Objective-C which we
wouldn't suffer with C++?

Supported Platforms:

We need to choose our supported platforms, then select portable
libraries which also play on the same selection of platforms.

Are there considerations which would limit our portability,
particularly to embedded Linux devices or even PDA's/Cell-phones?
How can we avoid these limitations?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer