[Xastir-dev] Xastir Requirements Capture

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:13:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> It might not.  This may well be another requirement that mandates at
> least some client/server capability

Yeah, I can see where Tom's original requirement doesn't automatically
mean remote display/network extensible.

I do think, though, that the requirements seem to head toward a rather
heavy backend (GIS extended database, etc) in light of some of the
hardware we currently use/would like to use (e.g. old laptops, Nokia
palmtops, UMPC).  That would lead me to think that network
connectivity between the client and daemon would be desirable to the
point of becoming a requirement.

My heavy backend assumption is based on a single database, and not the
scenario of multiple database support (e.g. BDB isn't as heavy as
PostGIS).

Bah, I'm babbling.  Maybe I should say it this way:

I see network connectivity between client and server as a reasonable
way to satisfy the multiple display requirement, with the (IMO huge)
bonus of non-localhost network connectivity.  In order to get the
development effort started (by reducing the requirements such that the
end can be seen from here) I can also see the usefulness of
eliminating network connectivity.

I see the usefulness of a requirement to support lightweight hardware,
e.g. old/slow computers, UMPC, palmtops (and NDS, PSP, GP2X :)  If the
single heavy database model is chosen, client/server network
connectivity would seem to satisfy such a requirement.

-Jason
kg4wsv