[Xastir-dev] Xastir Requirements Capture

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 17 11:56:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > It doesn't have to be a heavy database.
>
> Right, but if the decision is made to support a single database (quite
> reasonable), will it be heavy or light?

Undetermined at this time.  Thoughts have trended towards allowing
various databases on the back-end.

> If the decision is made to use GIS extensions, I would think we would
> want to either use GIS extensions or not, and not code both ways just
> to keep support for light databases?

Perhaps a selection of databases which supported GIS features are
available.  All undetermined (by us) at this point.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves though.  That's common for
this Xastir-2/Xastir-NG discussion over the years.  ;-)

We need to concentrate on the design process, not getting hung up on
specifics at this point.  Most of the details should fall out as we
progress, however I'm still trying to get a handle on the exact set
of processes like the rest of you.

Tom:  UML looks to be useful to us as a set of tools for organizing
the project and showing the interrelations and interfaces, but it
doesn't specify a methodology.  What's to be our OO design
methodology?  I know we don't have to fit one of the formal
definitions, but roughly what's our roadmap to get the ball rolling?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer