[Xastir-dev] xastir v2 as a student project?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:29:35 EDT 2009

good morning all,

Qt is becoming quite popular around here as a software engineering
tool.  One of the profs saw xastir up on my old laptop and asked a few
questions, and pretty soon we were discussing a port of xastir to Qt
as a 2 semester software engineering course project.  It's got UI,
hardware interfacing, database stuff, GIS, existing code to
decipher/reverse engineer, etc; lots of goodies from an instructional
viewpoint.

I have no idea if this will actually fly, but I was wondering how the
xastir community, especially the developers, felt about the idea.

Of course, since much of the code is GPLed it could be considered a
fork. No big deal.

My real idea would be to get some input from the developers and
community, anything from Q&A to mentoring to design requirements, so
that such a project would result, if not in xastir V2, at least a good
code base to build it on.

thoughts?

-Jason
kg4wsv