[Xastir-dev] Versions of DB?

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sun Dec 6 07:55:56 EST 2009

Hi Curt,

On 06/12/2009, at 11:33 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Carl Makin wrote:
>
>> What versions of DB are "officially" supported for Xastir?  What versions have people tried and found work?
>
> I think 4.x should work, the later the better.  I'm running 4.5 on
> OpenSuSE-11.1 here.
>
> from crashing due to a mismatch.  It's common for systems to have
> more than one version installed:  As long as the headers for the
> most current version are the only headers installed and Xastir was
> compiled using those, you're usually ok.

Ok. I think FreeBSD installs the headers for each version in different directories so, theoretically, you can have multiple versions installed and compiled against without interference, you just have to manually specify where the headers and libraries are.  My system has 4.1 and 4.3 installed and it seems to work ok.

I've just realised there's a mechanism in the FreeBSD ports system for dealing with this.  You specify something like USE_BDB=41+ in the port makefile and it will use the highest version installed.  If none is installed then it will install 4.1.  I'll setup the FreeBSD Xastir port to use this.

Thanks!

Carl.
(vk1kcm)