[Xastir-dev] A likely direction?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:45:41 EDT 2010

Please check out the 6th image here:

   http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4306

Wes Hardaker has implemented APRS functionality into "Marble", a
GPL'ed KDE (Qt4) application.  It is a stand-alone app and I hear it
can also be used as a plugin in other apps.  It supports OSM maps
w/tiles and WMS maps already.  It has routing as well.

Additional links about it that may or may not be of interest:

   http://osdir.com/ml/marble-devel/2010-05/msg00042.html
   http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/marble/html/AprsTCPIP_8cpp.html

Qt4 is the direction I am interested in going with Xastir, but I
can't speak for the other developers.  That's why I'm posting to
this list, so YOU can speak!

I have a bit of code already written under Qt Creator which creates
the main Xastir window + menus and connects to a server to
get/display packet data.  No graphics/maps yet and none of the menus
have code behind them yet.

I need to download the latest SVN of Marble to try it out/see what's
in there, then think about where to go next.  I could see people
shifting gears to support Marble, or learning/borrowing from the
Marble code to create Xastir2.  We likely have different ideas about
where the project should go than the Marble folks, so unless our
ideas could nicely merge with theirs it may be best to share code
when useful but keep the two apps separate.

Thoughts?