[Xastir-dev] Wiki problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Aug 11 15:59:40 EDT 2010

Gang:

A long time ago the wiki had some protections against random spam.  These
were removed when the wiki was upgraded.  The random spam has been creeping
back.

We need *some* kind of protection re-instated, even if it's the utterly
trivial stuff that Scott Miller has on info.aprs.net (a trivial CAPTCHA).
That site still does get *some* spam, but not much.  Better yet, we should
have something that limits user creation --- preferrably with sysop
intervention required before page creation/edits are allowed.

What we're seeing on www.xastir.org is lots of new user creation that does
not appear to be by xastir users, and the occasional insertion of random
gibberish into pages by those users.  Today I just cleared out "EmmaWatson"'s
user page, which was filled with Lorem Ipsum junk and a JPG image of a bunch
of cherries.

Without some protection, or without constant oversight, the wiki will become
less useful as time goes on.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."