[Xastir-dev] interface igate config?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 09:50:32 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are also the global controls in File->Configure->Defaults

Thanks, I had overlooked those.

Do we need these global controls?  Do they need to be in this form, or
would a simple "enable gating" button more appropriate, with
direction-specific gating controls on the individual interfaces?

> Generally for an igate of any type with the APRS-IS as we have it
> now, RF->INET won't hurt anything.

OK, so there's no need for RF->inet filtering.

> The other direction is pretty much asking for trouble if you allow
> wildcards.

OK, but what about NWS WX data? that's the specific use case I was thinking of.

>  The "normal" method is to automatically gate messages,
> ACK's, and NAK's through to RF for stations that have been heard on
> local RF only.

OK, so we need a per-interface heard list.

ACKs and NACKs are messages too, right?

> Allowing individual callsigns through, based on destination and/or
> source callsign, is probably ok.  This allows an igate operator to
> tweak his or her settings to allow certain friends who are traveling
> to be seen on RF from their local area.

OK this all makes sense.  I'm trying to (maybe wrongly) trying to find
an easier way than making a user create a config file to get NWS
warnings, etc gated to RF.  But we don't want an ignorant user
destroying an RF channel, either.  Put a list of callsigns (or
callsigns/object names?) on the GUI, but forget about wildcards?
Aren't there prefixes involved in the NWS data, with unique
calls/object names for individual storms?

>> Should anything other than the "allow transmit" button on the "inet
>> server" control gating?
>
> There shouldn't be an allow transmit button on the inet server side,
> as you're not transmitting there.  It's only on RF where you
> transmit.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

er, there is an "allow transmit" button on the server interface
config, and the global "disable transmit:all" also disables
transmitting data to servers.  (hence the occasional confused user
trying to use a "filter around my position" filter that doesn't work
because the posit report doesn't it the server.)

-Jason
kg4wsv