[Xastir-dev] differences between postGIS and postgres?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:13:04 EST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a database and schema for a Qt APRs client
> based on xastir.  It's technically not a port, although the intent is
> to offer it as an example xastir V2.

Good to hear.  I've tried to start on this numerous times but didn't
know a good method to go about it (the database stuff/schema).  I'd
love to help, or stay out of the way if that'd be the most help at
the present time.  hi hi

> I'm vague on the differences between standard and spatially enabled
> SQL databases, especially on the user interface side.  If it is
> implemented in standard postgres will I have trouble switching to
> postGIS?

As I understand it, and my understanding is pretty iffy here, the
spatially-enabled databases add extra functions for doing searches
based on latitude/longitude bounding boxes.

There were messages from Gerry Creager quite a while back that can
probably be searched out in the archives, about
PostGIS/PostgreSQL/MySQL.  I'm sure I have them in my local archives
too so I might see if grepmail can find them for me later.

PostGIS is a set of patches for PostgreSQL that adds the
spatially-enabled functions.  You have to have the PostgreSQL source
code, add in the PostGIS patches, then compile a fresh database
version.