[Xastir-dev] differences between postGIS and postgres?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:51:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, and my understanding is pretty iffy here, the
> spatially-enabled databases add extra functions for doing searches
> based on latitude/longitude bounding boxes.

That is my (incredibly limited) understanding as well.

I am operating under the assumption that if I simply spec it to use
postgress, then moving to postGIS would entail a db engine recompile
to include GIS extensions, and possibly modifying some queries to use
that extra functionality.

Right now the project is specced as two parts: a data "broker" that
will basically act as everything under the "interfaces" menu in xastir
and shove the data into a DB, and a "viewer" that will display
stations from the DB (on a blank background, no maps yet) encompassing
the stuff in "display filter" and "data filter" menus.  They are
separate applications with the database as the common link.

We (the software engineering instructor and myself) have tried to
present xastir V2 implemented in Qt as a project, but there have been
no takers.  In order to make it less scary, we're presenting these two
core pieces as a new project, with xastir as an example
implementation.  I am fairly certain we'll have some teams working on
it this term.

Lots is being left out as hard requirements (TNC interfacing, mapping,
messaging, position reporting, all come to mind), but I'm shooting for
a useful core for further development by either xastir developers or
future classes.

Hmm, if it doesn't use X it wouldn't be _X_astir, would it?  Maybe
Q-tastir?  (ducks and runs)

-Jason
kg4wsv