[Xastir-dev] Using gunmake extensions in Makefile.am

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 16 22:52:35 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 07:44:27PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jerry at dunmire.org> flavor, containing:
> Hi Tom,
> OK, but I haven't used a non-gmake many many years, so could you help
> me out with the alternative? I'm trying to take a list of styles
> (LIST=mapnik,skiing, ...) and use that to transform OSM_template.geo
> to OSM_mapnik.geo, OSM_skiing.geo, etc. The sed(1) argument would also
> come from the list.

Take a look how Jerry Stueve has handled creating the various fake-language
files (pirate, Swedish chef, pig-latin, etc.) from the English file.  See
config/Makefile.am for the pattern to follow.  Jerry's original attempt to
do this broke non-GNU make builds, as it used a make target that is set
differently in GNU make than it is in other system makes.  ($<, as I recall,
which in BSD make is only set if the dependencies have wildcards, but is
always set in GNU make.)