[Xastir-dev] Weather Alert Test Cases Fail

Dan Srebnick k2dls at k2dls.net
Wed Aug 23 07:01:31 PDT 2017

This is a followup to my prior post on Xastir Weather Alerts.

There seems to have been an undocumented change in practice in how
counties and zones or counties are identified in alerts.  The comments
in Xastir alert.c state that:

// the first 2 letters are the state or marine zone (1st field
// in both the county and zone .dbf files) followed by an
// underline char '_', the area type as above (C, Z, or A),
// then a 3 digit numerical code derived from:

The test case data in NWS-TEST.log also align with this statement.

However, the uncompressed test case data FAILS under the current code.
This was tested on v2.0.9 compiled from git.

The test case data works if I edit the data to remove the underscore
char '_' from the county/zone field.

It would be incredibly useful if this change could be clearly explained
by someone knowledgeable so that the comments and test cases could be
properly updated.  I have spent many hours trying to understand what is
happening.

Thank you.

73,

Dan K2DLS